Free legal help for Riverina flood victims
8 Mar 2012
Flood affected residents across the Riverina region can get free legal help with their insurance claims and any other related legal problems.
“People in Wagga and surrounding areas who need help with their insurance claim should visit the Flood Recovery Centre in Gurwood Street and speak to one of our lawyers for free legal information and advice" said Monique Hitter, Director, Civil Law at Legal Aid NSW. People who cannot make it to the Flood Recovery Centre should contact the Wagga office of Legal Aid NSW on 6921 6588.
Flood affected people are advised to take these steps:
- Keep a record of flood damage - take photos and videos where possible.
- Ask neighbours to witness the damage.
- Carefully check the wording of their insurance policy and, if in doubt, obtain legal advice before speaking to claims assessors, who usually visit on site.
- Make sure that premiums have been paid in full, or are up to date, before lodging any claim because premium shortfalls may affect payment.
"Early legal advice is critical because even if insurance policies exclude flood it would likely cover other water-related damage such as rain and storms" Ms Hitter said.
Legal Aid NSW lawyers can provide free help with:
- insurance claims;
- renegotiating credit commitments due to loss of income from the flood; and
- issues for tenants where the property is seriously damaged from the flood.
A fact sheet Storms, Floods, Insurance and you – a guide to getting your insurance claim paid can be downloaded from the Legal Aid NSW website.
Media Contact: Pia van de Zandt 0438 983908