Practice standards in legally aided matters
The practice standards apply across all of Legal Aid NSW's practice areas . The standards apply to in-house Legal Aid NSW solicitors and private lawyers acting in legally aided matters.
The practice standards supplement the standards of professional conduct that lawyers are required to observe in accordance with the Legal Profession Act 2004. They have been developed in consultation with the Law Society of New South Wales and the New South Wales Bar Association.
Practitioners appointed to a panel agree to be audited against the practice standards as well as Legal Aid NSW policies and guidelines.
Practice standards have been developed for each panel (which can be viewed using Adobe Acrobat Reader )
- General civil law (pdf 117KB)
- General criminal law (pdf 208KB)
- General family law (pdf 127KB)
- Children's criminal law (pdf 273KB)
- Care & protection (pdf 170KB)
- Veteran's law (pdf 164KB)
- Independent children's lawyer (pdf 324KB)
- Serious criminal law (pdf 340KB)
- Mental health advocacy (pdf 179KB)
- Specialist domestic violence (pdf 68Kb)
- Specialist barrister (complex criminal law) (pdf 191KB)
- Specialist barrister (criminal appellate matters) (pdf 184KB)