Older Persons' Legal and Education Program
Who we are
The Older Persons' Legal and Education Program is a specialist service of Legal Aid NSW run in partnership with Seniors Rights Service. We provide free legal information, advice and assistance to older people to promote and protect their legal rights.
Who we help
Older people with issues such as later life legal planning (wills, powers of attorney, guardianship appointments), granny flat issues, issues to do with family and financial arrangements, mortgage problems, debt, housing, consumer issues, social security and a range of other legal problems affecting older people.
How we can help
Advice and assistanceSeniors Rights Service gives free independent legal advice about all areas of law affecting older people through its Older Persons Legal Service (OPLS), including the areas listed above.
In some cases we may be able to help you with your legal problem beyond just giving you advice. For example, we may be able to write a letter or make a phone call for you, or take some other action to try to resolve your legal problem early.
We can prepare your case and represent you in court if you are eligible for legal aid.
We also give talks for groups of seniors and community workers on topics like:
- planning ahead (wills, powers of attorney, and appointments of enduring guardianship)
- elder abuse
- how to protect your assets if you want to help your family financially
- reverse mortgages
- grandparents issues
- Advice and assistance – contact Seniors Rights Service
- Education – for more information about a talk for your group call 1800 424 074 or visit the Seniors Right Service website
We have produced a number of brochures on Legal Issues for Older People:
- Moving in with the family? Make sure you protect your interests
- Helping your family financially? Understand the risks
- Are you experiencing violence or abuse? You can make it stop
- Who will decide for you if you can't decide for yourself? Think about planning ahead
- Your home and the age pension. What you need to know
- Are you a grandparent? Your legal questions answered
- Caring for kids in Aboriginal families: Know the law - know your rights
- Do You Have A Legal Problem?
- Why make a will?
- Who gets my stuff after I die? Why wills are important for Aboriginal people
- They want me to leave - staying in your home when your partner dies
- Adult children living at home. What to do if you want them to leave?
Note: some of these brochures have been translated into other languages. These brochures are also available in Audio CD format for people who have difficulty reading or who prefer information in this format.
Please view our case report summaries showing how the Older Persons' Legal and Education Program is able to assist older people protect their legal interests.