Go to content

'Do-it-yourself' divorce

We run free divorce classes at our Gosford office only.

The classes will help you if you can’t afford a private solicitor or if you want to apply for a divorce yourself.

The Do-it-yourself classes only cover divorce proceedings (dissolving of the marriage). They do not cover what to do in cases about children or property settlement. You should speak to a lawyer about these types of cases.

Where to find information about divorce

You can:

How to book a class

You must register to attend. Not all classes are held in Legal Aid NSW offices, so check the address when you book.

You can check the Workshops and community events for the public calendar to see when classes are offered and how to book for that class.

What do I bring to the divorce class?

Your original marriage certificate, or a copy if you don’t have the original. You can contact the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages for more information.

Do you need an interpreter?

Interpreters will be booked free of charge for non-English speakers. If you need an interpreter, let us know when you make your appointment.

If you want to speak to someone in your language, call the Translating & Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450. They can connect you to one of our offices so that you can make an appointment.