Go to content


What is your complaint about?

Making a complaint is free.

Can I get help putting my complaint in writing?
Yes. You can ask us for help at your local Legal Aid NSW office. If you need an interpreter you can use the Translator and Interpreter Service (TIS) to call us. Call 131 450. This is free.

If you are deaf you can use the National Relay Service to contact us. Call 133 677 or visit their website. This is free.

What will happen to my written complaint?
Staff with the right knowledge and experience will respond to your concerns. We aim to do this within 21 days or 30 days if your complaint is about a panel lawyer or another external party. If it will take longer then we will contact you to let you know how long it may take.

Are you complaining for someone else?
If you are complaining for someone else we will need them to agree that we can respond to you. Please ask us for a copy of our ‘Client authority form’ for complaints.

How will we protect your privacy?
We will not tell anyone what you tell us unless you say we can, or for example, it raises serious issues, the law says we must or it would be reasonably expected in the circumstances. We deal with your personal information in accordance with the NSW privacy legislation and the Legal Aid NSW Privacy Management Plan. View more information about privacy, or contact your nearest office.

If you don’t want to give us your name, we may not be able to respond to your complaint.

What happens if I am not satisfied with the response?
If your complaint is about our service or other non-legal issues you can complain to the NSW Ombudsman on 9286 1000 or 1800 451 524 (free call outside of Sydney).

If your complaint is about a lawyer you can complain to the Office of the Legal Services Commissioner on 9377 1800 or 1800 242 958 (free call outside Sydney) TTY (02) 9377 1855.