Go to content

I have a problem with a lawyer

First you need to speak to the lawyerWe expect you to try to resolve issues directly with the lawyer first. This gives them a chance to understand your issues and to resolve them with you.

The lawyer may work at a Legal Aid NSW office or they may be a private lawyer who is paid by Legal Aid NSW. We understand that you may not always know which one applies.

I have a grant of legal aid and I want to change my lawyerIf you have a grant of legal aid and you want to change your lawyer we will only do this in exceptional circumstances.

What if it's not resolved?Please give us the details about your complaint (what happened, dates, names of anyone involved and relevant documents) using the online form.

Are you complaining on behalf of another person?
By law we must have the consent of the person you are complaining on behalf of. If you don't do this, we can't give you any information about our dealings with the other person. We are not even able to confirm if that person does or does not have a grant of legal aid.

Please send us the other person's written consent by filling out a client authority to act form or proof of guardianship when you send us your complaint. In some cases we may be able to confirm consent with the other person over the phone.