Go to content

Early intervention for Aboriginal people

Family law problems ?

The Early Intervention Unit can help you sort it out before it gets serious.

Who we are

We are a specialist service and are separate from our family law practice. We can help you even if you are in dispute with someone who is receiving help from Legal Aid NSW.

If you are eligible for legal aid and another Legal Aid office is already assisting the other person, we can organise for a private lawyer to represent you.

Who we help

We can help if you are a mum, dad, grandparent or other family member. When you meet with us, you can bring a person you trust such as:

  • A counsellor
  • An Aboriginal Field Officer
  • Close friend or family member.

How we help

We help people to sort out family law issues as early as possible before they become serious.

Sometimes you can sort things out by agreement and by acting early. Seeing an early intervention lawyer may help you better understand your problem and the choices that you have.

We can help you with:

  • Problems seeing your kids
  • Arrangements to look after kids within the family
  • Child support
  • Problems with Family and Community Services (FACS) - get legal advice as early as possible.

What we can do

  • Provide legal advice and information
  • Find a family mediation service
  • Find a lawyer to represent you in an ongoing case (if you are eligible for legal aid)
  • Assist you to apply for a grant of legal aid
  • Refer you to court duty services.

What we can't do

  • Conduct your legal case on an ongoing basis
  • Draft difficult legal documents
  • Provide a solicitor’s certificate of independent legal advice
  • Witness documents

If you need legal advice urgently, we may be able to give you advice over the phone. Call us on 1800 551 589.

Where to get help

Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT

The Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT (ALS) gives free legal advice and provides legal representation in criminal and children’s care and protection matters. Call the ALS on 1800 765 767 or visit their website at www.alsnswact.nsw.gov.au.

LawAccess NSW

LawAccess NSW can give you free information and in some cases legal advice, about your legal problem. Or they may refer you to another service. Call 1300 888 529 or visit their website at www.lawaccess.nsw.gov.au

Wirringa Baiya Aboriginal Women’s Legal Centre

Wirringa Baiya is a community legal centre for Aboriginal women, children and youth living in NSW. They provide free legal advice and representation relating to family violence.

Call: 1800 686 587

Indigenous Women’s Contact Line

This toll-free line is staffed by Aboriginal women and is open Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri.

Call: 1800 639 784.

This publication is intended as a general guide to the law in NSW. It should not be relied on as legal advice and it is recommended that you talk to a lawyer about your particular situation.

At the time of printing the information shown is correct but may be subject to change.

Do you find it hard to hear or speak?

Call us through the National Relay Service on 133 677 or www.relayservice.gov.au or call LawAccess NSW on 1300 889 529

Order brochures online at www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au (go to Order a publication)

or email publications@legalaid.nsw.gov.au

For more information about Legal Aid NSW services:

Like us on www.facebook.com/LegalAidNSW

Follow us in www.twitter.com/LegalAidNSW

Watch us on www.youtube.com/LegalAidNSW

September 2016