Go to content

COVID-19: Are you worried about domestic and family violence?

This factsheet is part of a series from Legal Aid NSW that aims to help answer your questions about COVID-19 and family law.

I’m worried about my safety at home

Domestic and family violence can become worse during a crisis. During the COVID-19 pandemic, you might be worried about your safety, or the safety of someone you know. Domestic and family violence can include any behaviour that pressures you, controls you or makes you feel afraid. It is not always physical violence.

You might also be worried about being able to live at home if you have to self-isolate. If you have to self-isolate, but need to leave your home in an emergency situation to protect your safety or the safety of anyone else in your home, you will not be fined by police.

There are things you can do to stay safe at home or leave home if that is what you need to do.

Who can help me?

The Legal Aid NSW Domestic Violence Unit is a specialist domestic violence service. Our lawyers, social workers and financial counsellors work together to support people to sort out their legal and non-legal problems and make plans to safely leave home.

Contact the Domestic Violence Unit on 1800 979 529 or email domesticviolenceunit@legalaid.nsw.gov.au.

I need to plan for my safety

The Domestic Violence Unit can help you plan to stay safe.

I have a matter in court, what should I do?

If you have a matter in court and you are not sure what you need to do or if you need to go to court, you should contact the Domestic Violence Unit on 1800 979 529 and speak to one of our lawyers for advice.

Where can I find more information?

You will find a list of useful contacts for people in NSW at the “Get help” page on the Family Violence Law Help website. There are contacts for legal services, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander legal services, courts, counselling services, emergency accommodation providers, financial help and more.

How can I get help?

If you are experiencing family violence, call the Domestic Violence Unit on 1800 979 529.You can also email domesticviolenceunit@legalaid.nsw.gov.au.

For free legal help call LawAccess NSW on 1300 888 529.

If you need an interpreter, call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450 and ask for LawAccess NSW. If you find it hard to hear or speak, call the National Relay Service on 133 677 and ask for LawAccess NSW or visit www.relayservice.gov.au.

This factsheet is intended as a general guide to the law. Do not rely on this information as legal advice. We recommend you talk to a lawyer about your situation. This information is correct at the time of writing, however, it may change.

CVFAM01 | 13 January 2022 | © Legal Aid NSW #BBD0E0 »