Go to content

Do you need support for your family law problem? Support for women

The Family Advocacy and Support Services Support Worker for women may be able to help.

Who are we?

The Family Advocacy and Support Services (FASS) is a specialist family violence service. Our support workers can support you through your family law problem and help to improve your safety.

Who can we help?

We can help if you are affected by family violence and have a family law issue. Our support workers can help you if you:

  • have experienced family violence, or
  • if someone says you have used violence.

Other family members like grandparents can also use our services.

How can our support workers help you?

We can work with you to:

  • work out what you need help with and connect you with other services
  • help you to better understand your legal problem and the choices you have
  • give you information and support during your family law case
  • advocate for you with organisations like the Police, Housing and Victims Services
  • sort out practical problems like getting you Centrelink
  • help you get an ADVO
  • help you plan for your safety at home and at court
  • talk to the Family Law Courts about your safety
  • connect you with behaviour change programs or other services.

We can work with your lawyer to support you with your case and improve your safety.

We can help you if you have a private lawyer, a lawyer from a Community Legal Centre or Legal Aid NSW or even if you don’t have a lawyer.

We have Aboriginal workers and workers from diverse backgrounds at some locations. Ask us about this.

The Family Advocacy and Support Services have support workers for men and women. If you are transgender or gender diverse just let us know which service you’d prefer to work with.

We help you to better understand your legal problem and the choices you have.

You can see a support worker by dropping into one of these Family Law Courts:

Parramatta Level 2, 1–3 George St

Sydney Level 4, 97–99 Goulburn St

Newcastle Level 4, 61 Bolton St

Wollongong Level 1, 43 Burelli St

Our support workers for women are there Monday to Friday. If you are worried about your safety at court or about going to court please call 1800 11 FASS before your court date.

Do you need help to contact us?

If you need an interpreter, call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) on 131 450 (9am – 5pm) and ask for LawAccess NSW.

If you find it hard to hear or speak, call the National Relay Service (NRS) on 133 677 and ask for LawAccess NSW or visit www.relayservice. gov.au

For help call 1800 11 FASS

Order brochures online at www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/publications or email: publications@legalaid.nsw.gov.au