Go to content

Domestic Violence: Help at Court (Easy English)

Easy English is for anyone who has difficulty reading English. This includes people with low literacy levels, intellectual disabilities and whose first language is not English. 

Who we are

Women’s Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Services (our service) can help you if you are going through domestic violence.

Domestic violence means when your partner, ex-partner or other family member hurts you or makes you feel scared.

This can include someone who:

  • touches you in a way you don’t like
  • shouts at you or calls you names
  • breaks your things
  • hurts your kids or pets
  • stops you from seeing your family and friends.

What we do

Our service can help keep you safe from domestic violence. We can do this by helping you get an Apprehended Violence Order (AVO) from the court.

An AVO is an order that tells the person who is hurting you to stop, or that they can’t live with you anymore. An AVO can tell the person not to meet you, call you or send you messages on your phone or computer.

If you have kids, the AVO will protect them too. Our service can help you by explaining about the AVO and what happens at the court. We can also help you with other things you may need, for example, a safe place to live or a doctor.

We are not lawyers so we can’t give you legal advice or speak for you in court. If you need a lawyer, we can help you get one.

The Police may ask for an AVO for you if they are worried about your safety. We can help you talk to the Police. You can also ask the court for an AVO yourself.

What happens at court?

To get an AVO you need to go to court. Our service will be there to help you. You can sit in our room where it is safe.

We can also help you talk to Police or your lawyer so that you get the AVO you want.

What should you do?

If someone is hurting you or you feel scared, call the Police on 000. The Police can help you at any time of the day or night.

If you want to talk about getting an AVO or need any other help, call the service in your area.

Click here to see the list of services.

More information

This brochure only gives general information about the law. You should talk to a lawyer about your problem. The information in this brochure is correct when it is printed, but the information can change.

If you need more help, contact LawAccess NSW on 1300 888 529.

A print copy of this brochure may be ordered online.

If you are hearing/speech impaired, you can communicate with us by calling the National Relay Service (NRS) on 133 677.

Telephone Interpreter Service 131 450.


Dated: January 2015