Go to content

Family violence and visas

Family violence and visas cover imageYour partner cannot cancel your visa

Advice about your visa if you have been hurt or harmed by your partner

If you have a partner (spouse, fiancé, de facto or same sex) who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident, and they have sponsored you for a partner visa, you will usually get a temporary visa for 2 years before you are given a permanent visa.

If your relationship ends or you want to leave your partner before you get the permanent visa, you must get legal advice as soon as possible.

Your partner cannot cancel your visa.

You might still be able to get a permanent visa if your relationship has ended and:

  • there was domestic violence, or
  • you have children of the relationship, or
  • your sponsor died

For further information you can contact:

  • Legal Aid NSW
    Ph: 9219 5790
  • Immigration Advice & Rights Centre
    Ph: 9279 4300
  • LawAccess NSW
    Ph: 1300 888 529

If you need a translator, please call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 13 14 50.

If you are in immediate trouble call the Police: 000


This brochure is available in Arabic, Chinese, Assyrian, Bengali, Hindi, Indonesian, Khmer, Korean, Persian, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai & Vietnamese

A print copy of this brochure may be Ordered online or call 02 9219 5028.