Go to content

Get court smart

Children's Court Assistance Scheme

Parramatta, Surry Hills, Campbelltown, Broadmeadow, Woy Woy, Wyong, and Port Kembla Children's Courts have a Children's Court Assistance Scheme (CCAS). The CCAS workers can assist the lawyers and the court but their main job is to help you while you are at court.

When you arrive at court, the CCAS workers will sign you in. They can help you fill out the Legal Aid forms and will normally let your lawyer know that you are there.

While you wait for your matter to be dealt with at court CCAS workers can help you:

  • find a place to live if you are homeless or couch surfing
  • get counselling or mediation if you have problems at home with your family
  • find the right service if you have an alcohol or drug problem.

CCAS workers can't give you legal advice, like what you will get for your sentence or whether you should plead guilty or not guilty. But if you didn't understand what your lawyer told you, they can ask the lawyer to speak to you again and explain more clearly.

If you have come to court by yourself or even if you just want some extra support you can even ask the CCAS worker to come into court with you.

Don’t be afraid to ask the CCAS workers if you need help with something. That’s why they are there.

There are Children’s Court Assistance Schemes providing services in the following NSW locations:

Central Coast: Wyong, Woy Woy, Broadmeadow

Illawarra: Port Kembla

Macarthur: Campbelltown

Western Sydney: Surry Hills and Parramatta

For more information, please call the relevant Children’s Court Assistance Scheme Coordinator.

Illawarra Legal Centre: 4276 1939

Western Sydney Legal Centre: 0418 520 461

Macarthur Legal Centre: 4628 2042

Central Coast Community Legal Centre (for services at Central Coast and Hunter): 4353 4988

For more information about the CCAS: https://www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/what-we-do/community-partnerships/community-legal-centres-program/childrens-court-assistance-program

March 2021