Go to content

How to complain to Legal Aid NSW

How to complain cover imageThis brochure explains how you can complain if you feel something should be done better.

Legal Aid NSW is committed to providing the best possible service to our clients. We welcome your comments as they show us where we can make improvements.

You want to make a complaint - what should you do?


If you have a complaint about our service, a staff member, or a private lawyer funded by Legal Aid NSW, contact the office or person you are dealing with. We will listen to you, and where we can, we will try to resolve your complaint immediately.


If you still feel dissatisfied after talking to our staff, you can fill in a complaint form online by going to our website feedback page. If you do not wish to use this form you may send in a written complaint by sending us a letter or filling in this form. You can hand it in to your local Legal Aid NSW office or post your complaint to:

Legal Aid NSW
PO Box K847
Haymarket NSW 1238

Can we help you make your complaint?

Yes. We can help you write your complaint if you need assistance. Please contact us on 02 9219 5000.

What will happen to your written complaint?

Staff with the right experience and knowledge will investigate and respond to your complaint as soon as possible. If we cannot resolve your complaint on the spot, we aim to resolve the complaint within 21 days. If the complaint is about another person’s dealings with Legal Aid NSW, a different process will apply and we will not be able to tell you the outcome of our investigation because the Legal Aid Commission Act 1979 protects client confidentiality.

What can you complain about?

  • Decisions made by Legal Aid NSW
  • The quality of service you have received
  • The behaviour of a staff member at Legal Aid NSW or a private lawyer paid by Legal Aid NSW to work with you
  • Legal Aid NSW policies and procedures.

What if my complaint is specifically about a decision to refuse my application for legal aid or the conditions of my grant?

In this situation you need a different form. Speak to a staff member about an appeal to the Legal Aid Review Committee.

How will we protect your privacy?

We will protect your privacy during the complaints handling process in accordance with the Privacy and Personal Information Act 1988 (NSW).

What you can expect from us

We will:

  • treat your complaint seriously and protect your privacy
  • treat you with courtesy and respect
  • not discriminate against you
  • deal with your complaint impartially.

You can complain about Legal Aid NSW to another agency at any time

If your complaint is about our administration or non-legal services, you can complain to the NSW Ombudsman on 9286 1000 or 1800 451 524 (free call outside Sydney), TTY 02 9264 8050 or email.

If your complaint is about a lawyer then you can take your complaint to the Office of the Legal Services Commissioner on 9377 1800 or 1800 242 958 (free call outside Sydney) TTY 02 9377 1855 or email.