Go to content

Trouble making your home loan payments because you have separated from your partner?

There are things you can do:

  • Get advice about your rights

    It is never too early or too late to get advice. Please see below for details about where to get help.
  • Negotiate

    Talk to your lender about changing or reducing your payments for a period of time.
  • Lodge with the EDR

  • You can complain to an External Dispute Resolution scheme (EDR) if you and your lender cannot agree on a solution. EDR is free and user-friendly.

    Depending on which EDR scheme your lender is in, you can lodge a complaint with the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) 1800 931 678 www.afca.org.au.

    Once you are in an EDR the lender cannot take any legal action against you about the money you owe until the dispute is finalised.

Where can you find help?

LawAccess NSW

Provides free telephone legal information, advice and referrals to other services, including to your nearest Legal Aid NSW office
phone 1300 888 529

Financial Rights Legal Centre

Specialises in credit/debt matters. For legal advice call the Legal Advice Line on 1800 844 949 or visit www.financialrights.org.au

National Debt Hotline

For free financial counselling over the phone or to find a financial counsellor in your area phone: 1800 007 007 www.ndh.org.au

At the time of updating, the information shown is correct but may be subject to change. If you need more help, contact LawAccess on 1300 888 529.

May 2019