Go to content

Legal help for tenants appealing Tribunal orders about your housing

Who we are

Legal Aid NSW can give tenants free legal advice if you want to appeal a tenancy decision made by the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT)

Who we help

We can help both social housing tenants and tenants renting in the private market.

How we can help

Advice and Assistance

We can give you free independent advice about tenancy decisions made by NCAT. We can tell you about your appeal options.

We may be able to help you if:

  • you have orders terminating your tenancy agreement
  • you have orders requiring you to pay money to your landlord
  • NCAT orders were made in your absence


If you’re not happy with a decision that NCAT has made you may be able to challenge the decision. NCAT has an Appeal Panel but you only have 14 days to lodge an appeal.

If orders were made by NCAT, in your absence, you may be able to apply to set aside the decision but you only have 7 days to do this. The Tribunal can grant extensions of time but will usually require good reasons to explain any delay.

We may be able to represent you if you are eligible for legal aid.  We will prepare your case, obtain evidence and represent you at the hearing.

Contact us

If you want advice about what your options might be, please call Legal Aid’s NCAT Housing Appeals Service on 9219 5800.