Centrelink problems

Information about what to do if you have a problem with Centrelink

You may want legal help if:

  • you have to pay back money to Centrelink
  • you can’t get a payment
  • you are getting the wrong amount
  • your payments have been stopped
  • you want to appeal a Centrelink decision, or
  • you are being investigated by Centrelink.

What we can do

We can give you legal advice and information about your Centrelink problem. We may also be able to:

  • ask Centrelink for a copy of your file so you know what information they used to make the decision
  • help you get Centrelink to look at the decision again
  • help you appeal against a Centrelink decision to an independent tribunal
  • represent you at the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.
  • Quick information

    Quick information

    Before you talk to us, make sure you have any letters Centrelink has sent you about the decision.

    Legal Aid NSW is separate from Centrelink. Anything you tell us is confidential, unless the law says otherwise.

Where can I get help?

OrganisationInformationContact Details
LawAccess NSWProvides free telephone legal information and referrals to other services, including to your nearest Legal Aid NSW office, Community Legal Centres, private lawyers and other organisations that can help.Chat to our team by clicking on 'Chat with us' on the right or by calling 1300 888 529 Mon to Fri 9am - 5pm.

Order a publication

You can order or download publications from this page. All Legal Aid NSW publications are FREE. If you have any questions regarding your order or require further assistance please email publications@legalaid.nsw.gov.au