What is a Section 14?

Easy Read

If the police charge you with a crime, you might go to court.

At court, the magistrate can make an order called a Section 14.

A magistrate is a type of judge.

A Section 14 means you won’t have to:

  • pay a fine
  • go to jail.

But if you get a Section 14, you must agree to get some help. You can say what help you want.

You will get a support plan. A support plan is sometimes called a treatment plan.

Your support plan talks about:

  • what support you need
  • how you will get that support.

You must agree to follow what your support plan says.

If you follow your Section 14 for a year, you won’t have to go back to court.

If you don’t follow your Section 14, you might have to go back to court.

Who can get a Section 14?

A magistrate can give a Section 14 to people with cognitive disability.

When someone has a cognitive disability, they can find it hard to:

  • think
  • communicate
  • understand
  • remember.

A magistrate can give a Section 14 to people who have problems with their mental health.

Your mental health is about how you:

  • think
  • feel
  • manage your feelings.

The magistrate will want to know about your:

  • cognitive disability
  • mental health problems.

The magistrate will also want to know what services you use for support.

Contact us

You can contact your lawyer if you have any questions about your:

  • case
  • Section 14 order.


Where can I get more help?

OrganisationInformationContact details
LawAccess NSWProvides free telephone legal information and referrals to other services, including to your nearest Legal Aid NSW office, community legal centres, private lawyers and other organisations that can help.Chat to our team by clicking on 'Chat with us' on the right or by calling 1300 888 529 Mon to Fri 9am - 5pm.

Order a publication

You can order or download publications from this page. All Legal Aid NSW publications are FREE. If you have any questions regarding your order or require further assistance please email publications@legalaid.nsw.gov.au